- Report of the Sub-Group on Revamping of Tribal Research Institutes (TRIs)and establishment of National Institute for Tribal Research and Development: SJE division and sub-group constituted to revamp TRIs had various consultations at State level and Central level i.e. inter- ministerial level and finalised the report and submitted to the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and PMO for further action.
- New arrangement for implementation of Scheduled Castes Sub-Plan and Tribal Sub- Plan: SJE Division, after wide consultations with States/UTs, Central Ministries / Departments, new guidelines for allocation of funds, formulation and implementation of specific schemes and effective monitoring of programs have been developed and circulated to Central Ministries / Departments and Ministry of Finance for implementation.
- National Survey on Manual Scavengers: Survey has been completed in all States except J&K (170 Districts). At national level so far total 38,785 persons have been identified including earlier surveys (this (2018) survey 25015 and earlier (2013) survey 13770). Under the Self Employment Scheme for Rehabilitation of Manual Scavengers (SRMS), One Time Cash Assistance (OTCA) of Rs. 40,000 each has been provided to 24,863 persons 955 MS have been provided capital subsidy. Under the skill development component, 6361 MS have completed training programmes and 4306 are undergoing training programme, as on 30th Sept. 2018. In addition following initiatives have also been undertaken by the NSKFDC for the target groups:
- Health Camps.
- Training and awareness Camps.
- Distribution of common safety aids.
- Behavioural skill development training.
- New guidelines on Implementing Budget Allocation for Welfare of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (SCSP & TSP): NITI Aayog has revised the guidelines on account of merger of plan and non-plan classification of expenditure, obligating 41 Central Ministries / Departments to allocate funds and formulate and implement specific schemes for the welfare of scheduled castes and scheduled tribes.
- Enhanced allocation for welfare of SCs and STs in 2018-19: In view of merger of Plan and Non Plan expenditure in 2017-18, NITI has ensured adequate allocation for SCs (SCSP) and STs (TSP). “Allocation for the welfare of SCs” has increased from Rs. 52377.82 crore (BE) in 2017-18 to Rs. 56476.84 crore (BE) in 2018-19 i.e. an increase of 8.10%. Similarly, the total allocation for the welfare of STs has increased from Rs. 31919.51 (BE) crore in 2017-18 to Rs. 39134.73 crore (BE) 2018-19 i.e. an increase of 22.10%. Number of Ministries /Departments allocating funds also increased from during 2017-18. 26 Central Ministries and 29 Departments have earmarked funds for SCSP & TSP respectively after intervention by NITI Aayog. 29 Central Ministries and 37 Departments have earmarked funds for SCSP & TSP respectively during 2018-19
- Review Meeting on implementation of SCSP & TSP: Two such review meetings were held one on 11.01.2018, under the Chairmanship of Principal Adviser, NITI Aayog and another under the Chairmanship of Hon’ble Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog on 08.08.2018, with 41 Central Ministries / Departments to assess the performance and deliberate operational difficulties and finalise modalities for effective utilisation of allocated funds and allocate obligated percentage of funds.
Another meeting was held on 16th November, 2018 with Secretary, Shri Ajay Narayan Jha, Department of Expenditure and Shri Aravind Srivastava, Joint Secretary (Budget), Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance under the Chairmanship of Shri Ratan P. Watal, Principal Adviser (Social Sector), NITI Aayog to implement the New Arrangements suggested by NITI Aayog for implementation of SCSP & TSP.
- The SJE Division actively participated in the following meetings / events and given valid suggestions / comments / views:
- Price Fixation Committee of TRIFED for revision of the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for Minor Forest Produces (MFPs),
- Standing Committee for Tribal Welfare and National Council for Tribal Welfare,
- Central Monitoring Committee for Monitoring the implementation of Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and other Rehabilitation Act-2013,
- Technical Advisory Committee for Nai-Manzil scheme of Ministry of Minority Affairs,
- Selection committee for selection of Coaching Institutions for Grant of Central Assistance under the scheme of Pre-Coaching for SC and OBC students,
- Project Approval Committee for sanction of Projects under Grant-in-Aid under Article 275(1),
- Research Advisory Committees (RAC) of Department of Social Justice & Empowerment, and Ministry of Tribal Affairs in addition to the Project Approval Committee of Multi Sectoral Development Programme / PMs 15 Point Programme of Ministry of Minority Affairs,
- Empower Committee Meeting of the Ministry of Minority Affairs: Adviser (SJE) is a Member in the EC. Adviser or Officer nominated by Adviser participated the EC meetings and provided comments and inputs on the proposals under Multi-sectoral Development Programme (MsDP) for Minority Concentration Blocks (MCBs),
- Central Monitoring Committee for monitoring the implementation of the "Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act, 2013,
- Parliamentary Committee on the Welfare of SCs and STs " Examination of SCSP & TSP,
- Committee on Welfare of Other Backward Classes for ‘Formulation and implementation of Reservation Policy and Rationalisation of Creamy Layer in employment for OBCs in the posts and services under Government of India and Union Territories and Welfare measures for them,”
- Meeting of National Council of Senior Citizens
Cabinet Notes dealt in the Division:
- Draft Note for the Cabinet for Re-designation of one post of Member in National Commission for Safai karamcharies (NCSK) as Vice- Chairman,
- Draft Cabinet note for amendment to the maintenance and welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act. 2007,
- Draft Cabinet Note for Establishing of Dr. Ambedkar International Centre for Socio - Economic Transformation (DAICSET) and International Centre for Buddhist Studies (Chaitya) in the Dr. Ambedkar International Centre,
- Draft Cabinet Note on Continuation of the Schemes of (i) Pre-Matric Scholarship Scheme, Post-Matric Scholarship Scheme and Merit-cum-means based Scholarship Scheme for the students belonging to Minority Communities,
- Note for Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs on Restructuring of Multi Sectoral Development Program (MSDP) for Minorities Concentration Blocks, Districts.
- The revised draft Cabinet Note for setting up of the National University for Divyangian in Kamrup District, Assam was examined and supported.
SFCs / EFCs/PIBs dealt in the Division:
- EFC Memorandum for Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana, (PMAGY),
- EFC Memorandum for Equity Support to National Safai Karamcharies Finance and Development Corporation (NSKFDC),
- EFC Memorandum for the scheme of Grants under Article 275(1) of the Constitution of India,
- EFC Memorandum for the scheme of “Eklavya Model Residential Schools (EMRSs)”,
- EFC Memorandum for modification and continuation of the Scheme "National Fellowship to Scheduled Caste Students",
- Memorandum for Expenditure Finance Committee(EFC) on the proposal of Enhancement of the Authorised Share Capital of the National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation(NHFDC),
- PIB/ EFC Proposal for Establishment of Centres of Disability Sports
- EFC Proposal for establishment of National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation (NIMHR) at Bhopal (MP),
- SFC Proposal for Financial Assistance for Existing Deaf Colleges in Five Regions of the Country,
- SFC Memorandum for Scheme for free Coaching and Allied Scheme for the Students/Candidates belonging to Minority Communities,
- SFC Memorandum for appraisal of scheme Support to Tribal Research Institute (TRIs),
- Draft Memorandum for the Standing Finance Committee for revision of Central Sector Scholarship Scheme of Top Education for SC Students,
- Project Proposal on Value Chain Development of North Eastern Region Community Resource Management Project (NERCOMP-IV) of NER/DoNER.
- SJE Division attended the SFC Meeting on Scheme for implementation of the National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction held on 28.11.2018 scheme was supported with certain suggestions which are accepted and scheme was approved.
- A meeting with the Chief Minister of West Bengal was held in August 2018 and various issues were deliberated,
- Odisha Vikas conclave was inaugurated by the Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog on 24th August 2018, in which various themes were deliberated.
- Inputs were given to Parliamentary Committee on Welfare of Scheduled Castes on implementation of Scheduled Castes Sub-Plan and Tribal Sub-Plan,
- Inputs were provided to Parliamentary Standing Committee on Finance,
- Inputs were given to Parliamentary Committee on welfare of Other Backward Classes.
VIP&PMO Public grievances / References
SJE Division received over 25 PMO references and over 100 public grievances in the current year and examined and disposed of taking appropriate action.
The SJE Division, has received over 100 RTI applications and replied to all the applicants.
The SJE Division has provided an opportunity to about 30 interns during the current year and enabled them to successfully write good quality reports on various themes assigned to the Interns.