Models to assess the energy and environmental impacts of competing development pathways are critical to formulating policies to support energy security and low carbon growth. NITI Aayog has been involved in various energy modelling related activities over the past several years. These energy modelling activities can be classified as –
- IESS 2047 used for analysing various energy supply and consumption scenarios and their impact based on various choices in terms of economic growth, technology adoption, etc.
- Model comparison where different modelling groups in India and National Labs of US work on a common objective, and the modelling results across groups are compared and discussed on the following topics:
- Mitigating Carbon Dioxide and Local Pollutant Emissions from India’s Transportation Sector – Analysis within an Integrated Assessment Modelling Framework
- Energy – Water Nexus and Efficient Water Cooling Technologies for Thermal Power Plants in India – Analysis within an Integrated Assessment Modelling Framework.
The team at NITI Aayog strives to develop a better understanding and appreciation for energy modelling to deal with the conflicting views of the energy sector and decide the best way forward. Towards the same, an energy modelling unit has been set-up at NITI Aayog to carry out cross-sector integrated energy modelling. The following list has some of the broad modelling areas that this unit would engage over the next couple of years –
- Modelling and prediction of the key supply and consumption components in the India energy sector with some degree of certainty.
- Dealing with the complexly linked Indian Economy, Social Development and Energy Sector.
- Impact of INDCs on the Energy, transport, Industry Sectors and India’s growth.
- Model the complex interaction of federal and state structure with respect to energy resource allocation.
- Economy-Energy interaction due to freer trade regime including energy commodities.
NITI Aayog has tied up with IIASA under their over-arching Agreement with TAIFAC to stabilize and operate the MESSAGE model. For further info Energy Modeling0 bytes0 bytes.