The idea of setting up a Women Entrepreneurship Platform (WEP) to promote and support established as well as aspiring women entrepreneurs in India took seed at the 8th Annual Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES) 2017 held in Hyderabad, jointly by NITI Aayog in partnership with the Government of the United States of America.
The platform was formally launched on 8 March 2018.
It is the first of its kind facilitation platform which is mandated to work in collaboration with public as well as private sector organizations and bring them on a single platform by listing their women focused entrepreneurship schemes, initiatives and programmes on WEP website. It also enables sharing of best practices amongst women entrepreneurs and partner organizations and promote evidence based policy making.
WEP, through its partners, tends to offer services to members under various support areas:
Incubation and Acceleration
Funding and Financial Assistance
WEP has more than 30 partners from various industries and sectors and have signed Statement of Intent (SoI) with many of those who have committed specific deliverables towards WEP users. These partners include, Atal Innovation Mission, CRISIL, SIDBI, FICCI, NASSCOM, Google, Facebook, Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, Institute of Company Secretaries of India, CII, WEE Foundation, Nexus Incubator, MannDeshi Foundation, ShopClues, SEWA Bank amongst others.
- Read More..
Under the Social Entrepreneurship domain, WEP will also launch its IVRS service to facilitate registration for aspiring and established women entrepreneurs in social and development sector who are not tech savvy and do not have access to internet.
Since its launch in March 2018, in a short span of eight months, WEP through its partners have offered various support services for WEP registered women entrepreneurs, some of them are as follows:
- WEP along with WEE Foundation launched two mentorship programmes, the first happened in IIT-D and the other will soon begin in IIT-B.
- WEP in association with NEXUS started several Incubation cohorts for women entrepreneurs.
- WEP along with SREI and Google Internet saathi will onboard around 3,000 women entrepreneurs from rural areas on
- WEP platform for them to avail services available on the platform.
- WEP partner INNSAEI Ventures has committed a corpus of INR 10 crores for WEP for women led ventures in frontier technologies.
WEP Road Show SeriesIn the month of July 2018, WEP launched its 'RoadShow Series' to initiate dialogue with various State Governments and to sensitize local stakeholders for building a conducive entrepreneurial ecosystem for women entrepreneurs. More than 1000 women entrepreneurs participated across states.
- Mumbai: In Association with Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) and Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS), Mumbai.
- Bengaluru: In association with Jain University and United Nations and NASSCOM
- WEP-eMERG event, in association with Ministry of Medium and Small Enterprises (MSME), Government of India and Government of Karnataka
- Delhi: International Conference on Empowering Women- Fostering Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Sustainability in association with Shriram College of Commerce conference, New Delhi
- Pune: In association with Symbiosis University, Pune
WEP New Platform
WEP will launch its highly evolved AI/ML based Version 2.0 of the online platform in the month of December 2018 by adding an additional layer of 'Mapping' to the platform through which information, schemes, programmes, events, courses, news etc. will be shown to the user, based entirely on the chosen area of interest. This feature available on WEP portal would greatly improve user experience and help in giving greater exposure to existing initiatives in this ecosystem.
International Conference on Empowering Women- Fostering Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Sustainability in association with Shriram College of Commerce conference, New Delhi