Major Activities in the Data Management and Analysis Vertical
1. To facilitate and promote data analytics the Vertical initiated the task of developing a data portal to leverage latest technology to collate and enable data analytics of various socio-economic indicators. A Proof of Concept was launched in 2017 and the vertical is now working on selection of a private party to work on developing the portal called “National Data and Analytics Platform”.
2. Digital Transformation Index was also instituted to measure the preparedness of States towards digital economy and share best practices.
3. The Vertical represents NITI Aayog in:
Governing Council of NSSO
Governing Council of Indian Statistical Institute
Advisory Committee on National Accounts of CSO
Governing Board of the Institute of Economic Growth (IEG), New Delhi.
Advisory Committee of Planning and Policy Research Unit (PPRU) of the Indian Statistical Institute, Delhi Centre.
4. The Officers of the Vertical have been associated with the following activities:-
i. Digital Transformation Index
NITI Aayog proposes to institute a Digital Transformation index for states. The index includes parameters which can allow states to examine their progress towards digital transformation and compare it to that of others, thus acting as a catalyst to reform. The Digital Transformation Index for states covers the following three realms - Digital Preparedness & Infrastructure, Digital Economy and Digital Governance. In this regard, a National Workshop on Digital Transformation Index (DTI) with Secretary (IT) of all States, TRAI, M/o Electronics & IT, D/o Financial Services was held on 11.07.2017 at UChicago Centre, New Delhi. Based on the deliberations of the workshop, a final list of indicators has been prepared and sent to states to provide data.
ii. National Data & Analytic Platform
DM&A vertical is in the process of developing a national level data and analytics platform as a one stop reference point for a wide segment of users for authentic, comprehensive and latest data on socio-economic indicators of the country. The portal would have visualisation and analytics features where different category of users from the Government to researchers, individuals, journalists and other stakeholders can get insights from the data.
iii. Committee of Chief Ministers on digital payments
A Committee of Chief Ministers was constituted by NITI Aayog on 30th November 2016 with Shri Chandra Babu Naidu, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh as the Convener to promote transparency, financial inclusion and a healthy financial ecosystem nationwide and to suggest measures to seamlessly enable all sections of the population to migrate to the digital mode of payment. The aim of the committee is to recommend measures that would enable India to leapfrog into the advanced digital payment systems that compares with the best global standards.
The Committee submitted its interim report to Hon’ble Prime Minister on 24th January 2017. The interim report of the Committee of Chief Ministers on digital payments can be seen on:http://niti.gov.in/writereaddata/files/new_initiatives/book.pdf.
Highlights of the Interim Report of the Committee of Chief Ministers on Digital Payments
The committee made recommendations on (i) Setting up of target and monitoring mechanism; (ii) Expanding technical infrastructure for digital payments; (iii) Increasing supply of acceptance infrastructure; (iv) Necessary institutional, policy, regulatory changes to ease adoption of digital payment; (v) Necessary institutional, policy, regulatory changes to ease adoption of digital payment; (vi) Incentivize digital transactions; (vii) Strengthening security in digital payments and (viii) Targeting specific segments for quick results.
The matter has since been transferred to MEITY after constitution of the Digidhan Mission.
Examine poverty related issues;
Nodal Vertical for Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation.
4. All Matters relating to Advisory Committee of Development Planning Centre (DPC) of Institute of Economic Growth (IEG) & Planning and Policy Research Unit (PPRU), Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), Delhi. The Annual Report of the DPC of IEG for the year 2016-17 has been laid in Parliament during the Budget Session, 2016.
5. Member of Other Committees
The vertical represents NITI Aayog on the following Working Groups:-
Working Group on 75th round of NSSO
Working Group on Index of Industrial Production (IIP)