Jump to navigation
Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- In Southern Asia, only 74 girls were enrolled in primary school for every 100 boys in 1990. By 2012, the enrolment ratios were the same for girls and for boys.
- In sub-Saharan Africa, Oceania and Western Asia, girls still face barriers to entering both primary and secondary school.
- Women in Northern Africa hold less than one in five paid jobs in the non-agricultural sector.
- In 46 countries, women now hold more than 30% of seats in national parliament in at least one chamber.
- India is on track to achieve gender parity at all education levels, having already achieved it at the primary level. The ratio of female literacy to male literacy for 15- 24 year olds is 0.91.
- As of August 2015, in India the proportion of seats in National Parliament held by women is only 12% against the target of 50%.